While backpacks are one of the most critical pieces of your survival equipment collection, it can be challenging to find a backpack that will support your back in the heat of the moment. Many backpacks are functional in terms of storage, but when it comes to allowing you to comfortably wear them for many hours, they fall short. It’s important to search for backpacks that are good for your back for all-day carrying in survival situations.
Features of a Back-Friendly Backpack
Finding backpacks that are good for your back doesn’t need to be difficult. It’s simply a matter of knowing what to look for. To ensure that your backpack supports your back as well as possible, pay attention to the following factors:
- Proper Size: the first mistake that many of us make when choosing a backpack for survival purposes is investing in a pack that seems like it covers all the bases, but is too big. You need to make sure that you choose a backpack that is practically manageable for your body. It will not help you to have extra space or compartments if you cannot handle the size of your backpack.
- Wide and Extra Straps: the majority of the weight of your backpack is felt on the shoulders, which is because of the design of the straps. Make sure the backpack you choose has wide shoulder straps to help spread the weight evenly. Try to choose straps with padding and soft edges to avoid them digging into your skin. Remember that you can also find backpacks with straps at the chest and waist level. Backpacks with shoulder, waist, and chest straps provide the highest level of adjustability.
- Organized Compartments: when considering what type of backpack will serve you well in survival situations, let go of the idea of investing in a pack that has one big compartment. This design does not allow for the structured distribution of weight and will leave your back tired and in pain. Look for backpacks that organize compartments with the largest at the back and the smallest at the front.
- Padding: besides padding in the shoulder straps, you can find backpacks that provide padding in the other straps, as well as on the back of your pack. Extra padding on the back of your pack will provide a soft cushioning that makes all-day carrying feel less cumbersome.
- Load Comfort Range: when you invest in your backpack, be sure to note the load comfort range. Many companies specify how much weight their backpacks can realistically and comfortably carry.
Top 5 Back-Friendly Backpacks
Check out 5 of your top back options to provide support and keep you comfortable:
1. TETON Sports Scout 3400 Internal Frame Backpack
The TETON backpack is an ultimate option that suits all survival situations, even serious hiking circumstances. This backpack is designed with multi-day trips in mind and will be manageable for carrying for hours at a time. The internal frame backpack fits a wide range of body sizes and is made with multi-position torso adjustment for your ultimate control and comfort. The TETON backpack is designed with a chest and waist strap and can accommodate loads up to 55 liters. It has padding for extra comfort and can be used by children and adults alike.
2. High Sierra Swerve Laptop Backpack
The High Sierra Backpack is a reliable option that will allow you to keep your laptop handy, along with the rest of your EDC. This backpack makes an especially effective option for children, as it is designed with a standard backpack style and comes in a variety of colors. It will suit adults very well too. The backpack has a dedicated laptop compartment in addition to a collection of other compartments of various sizes for optimal organization.
The MIRACOL Hydration Backpack is a complete pack for survival purposes, as it is supportive for your back, designed with various compartments, and includes a 2-liter bladder. The backpack also boasts thermal insulation, so you can keep other liquids cool for up to four hours. The MIRACOL backpack has adjustable shoulder, chest, and waist straps so you can create your most comfortable fit. The padding in the straps and back of the bag will keep you cushioned.
4. Live Infinitely Hydration Backpack
The Live Infinitely Backpack is another option with a built-in bladder for convenient water storage. This backpack is designed to be durable in a range of survival situations including wet ones, with its water resistance. The backpack has padding and balanced shoulder, chest, and waist straps for weight distribution. You will be able to organize your equipment as you like using the collection of pockets and compartments of different sizes.
5. Mardingtop Tactical Backpack, 52cm
The Mardingtop Tactical Backpack is a sleek black option that will keep your back supported while you carry all your survival equipment. The backpack is water resistant and can accommodate loads up to 35 liters. The Mardingtop has adjustable shoulder and waist straps for a comfortable fit no matter how many hours you’re carrying it. The structured organization of the storage compartments keeps the backpack lightweight and manageable even when completely full.
The backpack you choose to carry with you for survival purposes is critical in how you will manage the challenge. While storage and practicality are important, choosing a backpack that is good and comfortable for your back will facilitate your ability to survive even in tough conditions.