Tis the season to wear your coat. Spring is upon us, which means rain, rain goes away. Sure, it’s good to keep us out of earth destroying droughts, but it’s a pain when we want to head out on a hike or backpack into the woods. But since we know it’s coming, and it’s bound to strike while we’re out, the most we can do is find the best backpacking rain jacket to keep us dry. Because there is no way we’re simply going to stay indoors the entire season.
What are You Looking for Backpacking Rain Jacket?
The best rain jacket for backpacking is going to do a few things. First, it will keep you dry. It needs to be made of a water repellent material that will ensure that it gets wet on the outside but keeps you warm and dry on the inside. Next, it will have to keep you warm as well.
Rain jackets abound that are thin and flimsy, serving only to break the wind or let the rain slide off of you. But who wants to be dry and cold? You need both, dry and warm.
The jackets on the list here will meet both of those criteria. Further, they come with some trendy styles. So you can not only feel good, you can look good as well.
Find The Best BackPacking Rain Jacket Here:
- The InMoo is a Unisex designed jacket, so you can wear it if you are male or female or refuse to say. It’s got a groovy swirly design that will make you feel like you took a trip back to the 70s, and hey, why not?
- Functionally, this jacket works to keep you both dry and warm by breaking both rain and wind. It has outside zipper pockets that will store your keys and cell phone and whatever other small things you need to keep on your body. It is heavy enough to serve as a jacket but light enough that you won’t feel hindered as you backpack through the wilderness.
2. Outdoor Research
[amazon_link asins=’B01015QTKI’ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’bc9ba8b5-30e2-11e8-89ca-01bcb3de43cd’]
- So this jacket doesn’t call itself a backpacking jacket, but it does the trick. This one sells itself as a research jacket. Essentially, you can feel like a science guy while you wear it, imagining yourself hunting for specimens in the wet jungle to take back to your lab.
- The reality is, it is a great backpacking jacket for the rain. It is hooded, with double seams and an extra layer for warmth. It is water resistant, 100% polyester, and has a left-hand pocket that serves as a stuff sack. You can backpack and collect specimens at the same time.
3. Geek Lightning
[amazon_link asins=’B07867SDYL’ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’f071c519-30e2-11e8-9f08-7f8e052deff6′]
- So here is an example of a rain jacket that could let you down if the quality was inferior. But it’s not. This has been reviewed well, and the company has even responded to reviews to make sure the fit is superior to each wearer.
- This unisex outerwear serves as both rain jacket and windbreaker, with outside zipper pockets for your small items. It also comes in super psychedelic colors, so you will certainly be making a statement out in the woods.
[amazon_link asins=’B073GK1PS9′ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’23fa0fde-30e3-11e8-a39e-af10a1ded65b’]
- The Jinidu is the classic men’s rain jacket for outdoor activities. It looks and feels like the ideal piece to wear. It has a fitted design, so it will stay close to your body for warmth. It also has netting inside the jacket to keep the rain from getting to you.
- This jacket sells itself as not just water resistant, like so many others, but waterproof. And they stand by their word. You get it all with this jacket, stay warm, stay dry, store your goods in a front pocket, and get the all-around outdoorsman look to boot.
[amazon_link asins=’B01015MJLG’ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’4777c185-30e3-11e8-ae43-e918491bb6f0′]
- Another men’s jacket here, and this one comes in double layers. What else would you expect from Adidas? Fortunately, the jacket is designed as a breathable coat that will keep you warm, dry, and still prepared to be on the go. It comes in three different cams styles, so you can blend in with your surroundings, and you get an internal security pocket to keep all your treasured pieces safe.
There are a lot of factors to decide upon here. If dry is more important than warm, you can grab one of the lighter jackets. If you want a little extra padding because, perhaps, you run on the colder side, order the one with an extra layer or the net underneath.
You will also have to factor in style. Some of us like to flash it up, especially on a long, monotonous backpacking trip. On the other hand, if you’re going deep into the wilderness, you may want to avoid the attention of bears and just go with the camo.