The most important and basic aspect of being prepared ahead of time for anything that may come your way is having enough food to sustain you and your family. While it may seem like an extreme measure to stock up on foods in case of emergency, it’s a practice that could make the difference later. If you want to be well prepared, take the time to learn the best survival foods to buy at grocery store or Amazon.
What are the Longest Lasting Non-Perishable Foods?
The best survival foods to buy at grocery store or Amazon are the items that will last the longest. That means you want to begin your search with the non-perishables. The reason non-perishables are a must-have in your collection when preparing yourself for a possible emergency is that in addition to having a long shelf life, these foods don’t need to be refrigerated.
Here are some of the most common types of non-perishables collected for emergency insurance:
- Naturally long-lasting foods (white rice, hardtack, liquor).
- Ingredients (salt, sugar, cornstarch, corn syrup).
- Dry packaged foods (pasta, oatmeal, cereal).
- Wet packaged foods (soups, meats, vegetables).
- Dehydrated goods (meals ready to eat/MREs).
Choosing Survival Foods with Long Shelf Life
When it comes to choosing the non-perishable foods to add to your collection, you want to think as strategically and long-term as possible. These are factors to consider:
- Shelf Life: learn how long the non-perishable will truly last. There are many items that will not rot, per say, but will lose their taste and nutritional value after about a year.
- Multipurpose: stock on items that you will be able to use as ingredients for a variety of recipes.
- Balance: try to build a stockpile which has a mix of non-perishables that will work well together as meals, rather than limiting yourself to staple ingredients.
Top 5: Best Food for Long Term Survival
Take a look at 5 of the most important non-perishable foods to start stocking up on right now:
1. Peak Dry Whole Milk Powder
Even if you’re not a big fan of milk, keeping it on hand in case of emergencies is one of the smartest moves you can make. As you know, milk packs a big punch when it comes to protein and calcium and is a nutrient that everyone in your family will benefit from. Storing milk in powdered form means that you’ll have the nutrient ready to go when needed.
The Peak Dry Whole Milk Powder is an excellent option to stock up on because produces 3.5% fat milk, which is enhanced with vitamins A and D, and even has a pleasant, full taste. This powdered milk is an ingredient that you can keep to drink or for a variety of other cooking purposes.
2. Nishiki Premium Rice, Medium Grain, 15-Pound Bag
White rice is another must-have non-perishable in your emergency preparation kit, and Nishiki Premium Rice is a high-quality product raised in California. This rice is medium grain and completely natural. This rice is made with an especially tasty flavor that you will appreciate in emergency situations when you find yourself hungry.
The most important thing to keep in mind about storing your Nishiki rice long term is that the original packaging is not practical for that purpose. As soon as you receive your rice, the best thing to do for long-term storage is to use Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. This will ensure your rice stays fresh for as long as possible.
3. MREs (Meals Ready-to-Eat) Genuine U.S. Military Surplus (1 Pack) Assorted Flavor
All MREs were originally designed for consumption by members of the military, which is why you know you can trust their emergency power. Stocking up on MREs is by no means extreme, it’s simply practical. These MREs will provide you with a ready to go option in any situation. Each meal is designed to have about 1250 calories to sustain you.
Try investing in a combination of flavors for more variety in emergency situations.
4. Barilla Pasta, Spaghetti, 16 Ounce (Pack of 8)
Spaghetti is another solid option to store in your emergency preparation collection. It is a product that can be used in a number of different recipes and flavor profiles and acts as a good source of thiamin, folic acid, iron, riboflavin, and niacin.
5. Lipton Cup-a-Soup Instant Soup Mix, Cream of Chicken 2.4 oz (Pack of 12)
If you want to make sure that you are still able to eat food with flavor in emergency situations, stocking up on soup powders like the Lipton Cup-a-Soup Instant Soup Mix is a must. You can add this powder to many dishes for easy and tasty dishes.
When it comes to stocking up on non-perishables, the most important things to think about are shelf life and how you will store each type of food. Choose foods you will enjoy eating and that provide nutritional value.