In addition to planning what you will be carrying in your pack when hiking, backpacking, or heading out for survival, you need to consider where you will sleep. Every survivalist knows the value of a good sleeping bag, but sometimes it can be difficult to find the ideal bag. Searching for the best affordable backpacking sleeping bag will ensure that you get what you need in comfort and feasibility.
Choosing the Right Backpacking Sleeping Bag
Finding the best affordable backpacking sleeping bag means thinking about the factors that are most important to you for a comfortable and satisfactory sleep. There are a few critical things to consider:
- Sleeping Bag Style: there are three main styles of sleeping bag: square, mummy, and pods. The basic style that most people are familiar with is the square sleeping bag. Mummy sleeping bags are tapered at the bottom and perform especially well in cold temperatures. Sleeping pods give you more space and are good for people who toss and turn.
- Season Ratings: season ratings for sleeping bags range from 1 to 5 in terms of weather conditions. The sleeping bag season rating 1 represents lightweight bags that are ideal for hot weather, whereas rating 5 represents heavy bags for meant extreme cold temperatures.
- Zipper: for your own convenience, pay attention to whether you invest in a sleeping bag with a right or left handed zipper.
- Size and Weight: when you’re backpacking, you will want a sleeping bag that is lightweight and that folds down to a compact size easy for packing and transport.
Top 5 Sleeping Bags for Backpacking
Here are your 5 top options for backpacking sleeping bags:
The Abco Tech Sleeping Bag is a square sleeping bag which is designed for use in extremely cold temperatures and severe weather, making it a reliable choice for backpacking and survival purposes. The polyester fabric means that while this sleeping will keep you warm in the coldest of temperatures, it is also breathable and lightweight enough for use in warm conditions. The sleeping bag comes with a carry bag which has straps for comfortable transport. The Abco sleeping is waterproof and will keep you dry in wet conditions.
While this sleeping bag does have a built-in pillow, it is on the flatter side, so you may want to supplement with a camping pillow of your own. This Abco sleeping bag is a strategic investment for your survival equipment because it is suitable for all four seasons, meaning it will be reliable for use at a moment’s notice.
2. Double Sleeping Bag For Backpacking -Sleepingo
The Sleepingo Double Sleeping Bag is a useful piece of equipment to have in your family’s survival stock. Whether you choose to use it as one queen-sized sleeping bag or two twin models, you and your family will sleep comfortably while backpacking. The sleeping bag is designed to keep you warm in the coldest temperatures and dry even in severe weather, as it is waterproof. This bag is made of polyester, which means that it will be appropriate for use throughout the seasons, even when the weather gets warmer.
3. Teton Sports TrailHead Ultralight Mummy Sleeping Bag
The Teton Sports Sleeping Bag is a mummy style bag that will keep you feeling warm and compressed if that’s how you prefer to sleep. The Teton sleeping bag manages to keep you warm from head to toe, using the built-in hood to warm your head and face. If you think you might end up backpacking in cold conditions and needing to survive extreme conditions, this Teton sleeping bag will be a big help.
When it’s time to make a move to a different camp, you will just fold up this sleeping bag and put it into its carry bag, which is lightweight and easy to add to the rest of your pack. The Teton Sports mummy sleeping bag is longer and wider than most comparable styles.
4. Sleeping Bag Lightweight For Camping, Backpacking, Travel by OutdoorsmanLab
If comfort is your number one priority when it comes to finding the right sleeping bag for your backpacking needs, then check out this bag from OutdoorsmanLab. The sleeping bag is made with an upgraded zipper system, which even allows you to have your feet sticking out for air. The interior of the sleeping bag has a backside strap so you don’t slip out of place and a built-in pillow for head cushioning. This sleeping bag is made to last through the elements for years on end and is designed with a water-resistant exterior and quick-dry lining to make sure you stay warm and dry even in wet conditions.
5. Winner Outfitters Mummy Sleeping Bag with Compression Sack
Another great mummy style option, the Winner Outfitters sleeping bag is an affordable pick made of high-quality polyester, which will keep you warm in the cold and remain breathable in the heat. This sleeping bag folds down to a very compact size and comes with a convenient carrying case. The Winner Outfitters sleeping bag is even designed with wind pads around the neck and zippers to prevent losing warm air and letting cold air flow in.
When you have the right sleeping bag for backpacking, you will find that survival is much more comfortable and manageable. Getting a good night’s sleep is vital to your ability to problem-solve in emergency situations, so get your ideal sleeping bag and have it ready to go!