Hikers, bikers, bird watchers, or just anyone who spends a ton of time under the sun needs to be cautious not to get too much exposure. Years ago, a good old baseball cap would do the trick, maybe a little zinc oxide on the bridge of your nose. Maybe. But the sun has gotten hotter, the days seem to have gotten longer, and the ozone layer is certainly not getting any thicker. These changes over time are we’re bringing you the best boonie hat for sun.
Yes. A Boonie hat. Originally designed for various outdoor work back in the 1800s, the Boonie hat is credited to Daniel Boone. It could easily be a rumor that the frontiersman created this wide-brimmed bucket hat, but the name stuck. It is also often called a bush hat or a giggle hat. For years it was used only by the most rugged outdoorsmen and the men in the military. Today, it is used widely by anyone who spends extended time in nature.
Form and Function
The hat should sit comfortably on your head, and the brim should be fairly wide all the way around. Some brims even extend in the back for more neck protection. With a boonie hat, you are protecting not only your head and face but also your neck and shoulders and even your chest and back above your neckline.
Often, these hats are also made with SPF protection, so you can be sure nothing is piercing the cloth of your cap to give you cancer. The best boonie hats will do it all:
- shade your skin above your shoulders
- sit comfortably on your head
- protect what is under the hat through SPF
If Boonie hats don’t have all three of these qualities these days, keep looking.
Fortunately, our list of five includes all the important features.
The Top Five Best Boonie Hat for Sun Choices:
1. Breathable Wide Brim
[amazon_link asins=’B078W5S87M’ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’14f8607f-3032-11e8-8f3e-37cb14ec2519′]
- This breathable Boonie hat will do what it is designed to do, protect your skin, and fit your head. The makers promise this hat will fit most heads well. It also comes with drawcords to maintain stability even on windy days.
- It also has mesh panels around the crown of the head to keep your head cool on hot days while also providing you with SPF 50 protection. This Boonie hat will fold up and fit in your pocket or your backpack without taking up too much room when you don’t want it on your head. It comes in a variety of colors as well.
2. Outdoor Sun Hat
[amazon_link asins=’B01IDEH6H4′ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’721b262a-3032-11e8-88dd-7de5f43a6dbe’]
- The name says it all on this one. This Boonie really was designed for outdoors. Of course, it has drawcords and mesh panels like the others, as well as offering UPF 50 protection from the dangerous sun rays.
- But what really makes the deal with this one is that it is both light and water resistant. These two features mean that if you are out fishing or wading across a river and your hat falls in the water, it will resist getting soaked, and what does get wet will dry off quite quickly. It’s certainly a nice extra. And if anything happens to your hat, you have a lifetime warranty for replacement.
3. Boonie Hat Tactical
[amazon_link asins=’B06XMQKY64′ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a163cb56-3032-11e8-8874-4d09a9a7dbe0′]
- So either you’re in a duck blind waiting for the feathered friends to fly out so you can hunt them down for lunch, or you’re just a fan of camo, this tactical hat is for you. It comes with all the bells and whistles, adjustable drawstring and mesh panels. It also comes in a range of camo colors.
- In this one, you will blend in with your surroundings as long as you are outdoors in nature. And depending on why you need the hat, that could come in very handy.
4. Operator Boonie Hat
[amazon_link asins=’B01011AMKK’ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’de1a8c75-3032-11e8-a8b9-c106a973e7fd’]
- This Boonie hat does not actually come with a drawstring or mesh panels or even SPF protection, but it is just super cool looking. It has a wider brim than most, and it comes with two patches, one American flag and one that says “Don’t tread on me.” In black, it could be the ultimate in sharp looking nature time, an alternative to the typical tan or camo hat.
[amazon_link asins=’B008FIFFY0′ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0a02f03d-3033-11e8-a144-f98c70a6b837′]
- And finally, the best of the best, Columbia. We have come to expect top quality from this outdoors company, and it rarely disappoints. You’ll get mesh panels, SPF protection, drawcords, and as a bonus, you’ll get a sweatband for your forehead panel and a chin strap to keep the hat on. It also comes in a variety of colors, so you could go crazy and order a powder blue.
There you have it, a wide range in a small list. You don’t need many choices because, in the end, you may want them all.