Crossbows are making a comeback. They faded out of fashion for a bit, but then Merida burst onto the scene in Disney’s Brave, with her bow and arrow strapped to her back. And then recently Arrow has made an appearance out of DC Comics and onto the screen with his crossbow and variety of arrows. Now men and women alike are more open to shooting arrows instead of bullets. Not surprisingly, the best crossbows for women run the gamut from expensive to cheap, and we’ve got the ultimate list for you here.
Within this article, we will provide you women with all of the necessary information with regards to crossbows, including:
· What’s the point in crossbows;
· The importance of the crossbow;
· Crossbows specific for the ladies;
· The top 5 best crossbows for women.
What’s the Point?
The best crossbow for women will be ideal for many reasons.
First, a crossbow is dramatically easier purchase. You don’t need all the licensing and background checks required for guns. Second, they are easier to practice with. You can carry a crossbow around and fire it in the woods or in your backyard. You don’t need a carry permit. And finally, it is easy to supply ammunition. You can reuse arrows that you are using for target practice, unlike bullets.
In fact, crossbows in the US and Canada are not considered firearms. For the most part, if you are of legal age, owning one and carrying it in your car or storing at home pose no threat of legal or criminal prosecution.
Furthermore, if you intend to fly and bring your bow and arrow, the TSA allows you to take it with you as long as it is stored away as checked luggage. But be aware, though it is allowed , the TSA authorities still have the right to prevent its transport by plane.
If you plan to travel with your crossbow, it is suggested to secure the best hard-case to store your crossbow. Because there is a real possibility your case may bounce and smack around while in storage, the likelihood that your valuable bow will be damaged is minimal.
Be also aware that you might be charged an extra fee by the airlines especially if your case is over-sized. It is recommended to call the airlines ahead to know their rules and restrictions before bringing your weapon with you on your trip.
The Importance of the Crossbow
As mentioned, crossbows are great for numerous reasons. Crossbows are used in the competitive sport of archery.
Archery is perfect for anyone learning or practising the art of the bow and arrow. There are lots of reasons as to why archery is a spectacular sport, thus why you should be learning to shoot a crossbow.
Below we have included some key benefits of archery:
· It is a life time sport, meaning any one at any age can learn to shoot a bow and arrow;
· Crossbows are great no matter what the weather;
· There are lots of crossbow tournaments that you can participate in;
· Crossbows do not have to be a competitive sport. It can be used for recreational purposes;
· Learning the crossbow builds self-disciple and confidence;
· It is a great way to source food.
As you can see, the above list is quite extensive. No matter what time of day, no matter what the weather, learning to fire a crossbow is a great way to get into a niche sport and master it!
For the Ladies
Which brings me back to that final exception from above. A crossbow requires skill to anything at all with it. You have to learn to load it, to aim it, to shoot it. This makes you a hugely badass woman if you have taken the time to do these things.
According to numerous women experts in the field, there seems to be a “natural” ability that women possess explaining why ladies do very well with the bow. Women have the instinct and skill to shoot more accurately as well as the repetitive acumen needed in mastering the use of the crossbow. There are those who suggest crossbow practice leads in improving the following:
- Hand-Eye Coordination
Now that we have established both the why and for whom, let’s look at the what.
The Health Benefits
You may be thinking to yourself, ‘archery is not a sport where you can get fit’. Is that what you are thinking? Well, if you are thinking that, then think again.
There are huge health benefits that can be achieved from learning the crossbow. Of course, archery is not the ideal sport if you are hoping to burn off extra calories, and it is not a quick way to get fit.
Instead, what crossbow training does allow is to provide an array of health benefits, particularly for the mind.
First of all, we have strength. Strength is obtained within your arms, stomach, hands, chest, and shoulders. Your strength will increase depending on whether or not you draw your bow and arrow correctly.
Next, we have exercise. As an archer, you will constantly be moving around between targets or playing a competitive game of archery. It is said that crossbow training can typically burn up to 140 calories every half an hour! Remarkable!
Like we discussed previously, health benefits of the mind include focus, coordination, concentration, and relaxation. Relaxation comes into play as it allows women to put all of their stress and anger into a controlled sport. What better way to relieve stress then to take a bow and shoot it at a target!
Top 5 Best Crossbows for Women:
Okay, so now that you have read all about the concept of a crossbow, and understood some of the key benefits that can be achieved, let’s now take a look at some of the best crossbows on the market, particularly created with women in mind.
1. Wicked Ridge
- This is a top of the line best crossbow for woman ready to head out and hunts down her kill. It has 150 lb draw weight yet is still easy enough to pull back and cock, making this perfect for women with their smaller frames. It comes with three arrows and a detachable quiver to get you started.
- It weighs in at just under 6 lbs, so it won’t be a pain to carry. It comes in a cool black with hot pink paint splatter, for those who like a touch of the feminine in their gear. The Wicked Ridge is a crossbow that also comes with a scope to make sure it will aim well each time you shoot.
2. Barnett Lady
- The Muddy Girl version of the Barnett Lady is another high-level crossbow. It weighs in around 6 lbs and has a 150 lb draw weight. It also comes with two arrows and a detachable quiver to get you going.
- The difference here is that Barnett Lady comes in at a bit less expensive in general. It is also nice to know that it is made in the US, and it arrives mostly assembled.
3. Lady Shadow
- This crossbow has it all; you’ll get three arrows, a detachable quiver, a high focus scope, and a 180 lb. draw weight. You’ll get a great draw and save yourself a ton of energy.
- The big selling point of this crossbow is that it is ambidextrous. You can draw and shoot from either side, which makes this ideal for an active field of play. You’ll need to think on your feet, and with this crossbow, you can.
- Excalibur lives up to its name. It is extremely light, much lighter than the competition, which could make a huge difference in the field. It is close to 5 lbs., ideal for a smaller female frame.
- It is also shorter than your average crossbow, even for women, with a 12.5″ length of pull, and it has a draw weight of 154 lbs. and comes in Muddy Girl camo style.
5. Barnett Recruit
- The Barnett is a decent bow for the price. It comes in at the lowest of the five, but you’ll get a bit less draw weight, at 140 lbs.
- You’ll also get the two arrows and detachable quiver, the high magnification scope, and a mostly assembles bow upon arrival.
Because of the relative ease of purchasing, owning, using and caring for this fine weapon, it just makes sense to have one in your self defense arsenal. Their ease of use is practical and ideal especially for those who find owning a fire arm extremely difficult.
If you are looking for a controlled-sport with a little ‘edge’ to it, than look no further! Crossbow training is not just for men. In fact, there are lots of crossbows made specifically for women. Why not try a new sport and see how well you get on?
There really is not much to compare when it comes down to crossbows. You are going to get much of the same, weight, draw weight, accessories, and performance with all the crossbows on the market. These decisions will come down to brand loyalty and aesthetics. You’re really going to have to judge a book by its cover on this one.