Hiking can be one of the most fun and relaxing activities, not to mention you get a great workout, as well. You don’t have to be a hiking expert to know that having a quality watch will enhance your experience, but they can come with a hefty price tag. So, the thing to do is search for the best hiking watch under 100.
Features of the Best Watches to Hike
Finding the best hiking watch under 100 isn’t solely about the price tag. In fact, you need to be careful and make sure that you don’t end up finding a great price, but bad quality. There are many watches that provide both!
Here are some features to keep an eye out for:
- Strap Material: when it comes to hiking, you want your watch to be comfortable. That means that you will be much better of with a rubber strap than a metal one. While metal straps may be aesthetically attractive, they aren’t practical for hiking conditions. Think about it. You’re likely to get wet and dirty.
- Weather Barometer: this may not be completely necessary during short hikes, but when you head out on a serious trek, you’ll want to have a heads up that it’s about to downpour or get really cold, so you can adjust accordingly.
- Compass: another vital component to have when you venture out on a big hike. You’ll want to know which direction you’re hiking in at all times.
- Water Resistance: this is definitely a plus because you never know when you’ll find yourself stuck in the rain or wanting to explore bodies of water.
Even when searching for value, these features are some of the most important to have with your hiking watch.
Choosing the Best Watch for Hiking
With the important features in mind, you will be ready to start your search, almost. First you need to consider another few factors that should influence your decision. Here’s what to consider:
- Comfort: this has to do with the strap mainly and it’s very important. You want to make sure that you will actually keep your watch on while you hike.
- Style: let yourself find a hiking watch that suits your personality and goes well with the rest of your hiking wardrobe.
- Budget: while we’re talking about options under 100 here, that still creates a wide range. Think about what you can afford to spend and search in that range.
Now you’re ready to begin your search.
5 Best Affordable Hiking Watches
Take a look at 5 great hiking watches under 100:
1. Garmin Forerunner 15 Large, Black/Blue
If you’re looking to spend a lot of time on shorter hikes, then the Garmin Forerunner 15 could be a great option for you. Available in a selection of various colors, you will be able to let your personality shine through, while getting affordable function as well.
With a long battery life of up to 8 hours, this watch will keep track of your daily activity and motivate you to keep moving, while guiding you through your hikes with a built-in GPS system. This is an ideal option for you if you love to hike and want to monitor your health, as well.
2. Casio G-Shock GD-100-1B Watch
Do you prefer the more heavy-duty aesthetic? Then you will like the Casio G-Shock Watch. It looks like it’s ready to accompany you on even the roughest of hikes, all for a very affordable price. When you choose the Casio, you get major shock resistance and 200 meters of water resistance, as well.
With a super illuminating LED backlight, you’ll be able to keep hiking well into dark. The pre-programmed calendar goes all the way until 2099, so it should do the job!
3. Timex Expedition Shock Digital Compass Watch
Another reliable brand to choose when you’re looking for an affordable hiking watch is Timex. This watch has a sleek yet rugged design and comes with a digital compass and Indiglo light-up watch dial for ease of reading in the dark.
Go on and dive into a lake with this watch, as it’s water resistant up to 200 meters, but don’t push it! the shock resistance and durable resin case mean that you will not be worried about damaging your watch while enjoying your hike.
4. Armitron Sport Men’s 40/8284 Digital Chronograph Watch
When you’re on the hunt for a hiking watch, but really don’t have too much money to allocate to the investment, check out the Armitron Digital Chronograph Watch. It’s designed by a company that has a great track record with making reliable watches and it’s highly affordable.
This watch has a basic compass, backlighting, as well as water resistance for up to 330 feet. The dual time options and time tracking functions which include day, date, time and seconds will keep you in the know.
5. Aposon Mens Digital Sports Watch
Whether you just need a backup watch or you want to gift a hiking watch to a total beginner, the Aposon Men’s Digital Sports Watch is a great and affordable choice. You will not find a better combination of value and quality.
The watch is equipped with water resistance, a compass, and backlighting, and covers the basics for hiking.
Don’t let the search for a hiking watch bring you down because of the price range you see. There are plenty of durable and high-quality hiking watches available for under 100. Take your time, do your research and you’ll find the watch for you.