Any backpacker will tell you, one of the most difficult parts of backpacking is the packing of the backpack. Figuring out how to fit and organize everything into a backpack you can lug around on your back for miles on end is an experiment in patience and perseverance. For this reason, we have gathered the best packing cubes for backpacks here in a nice, neatly organized list.
Space and Time
Space and time are your two biggest considerations when backpacking. What do you have space for? You cannot bring your Keurig coffee maker. Sorry. You need a change of underwear, a toothbrush, toilet paper! and so on.
Once you begin the list, the list becomes seemingly endless. Then you trim it down to the bare essentials. Once you’ve done that, you have to figure out how to maximize your space. Packing cubes help you do this.
Time is the other important element. Your time is precious on a backpacking trip. You may have just enough time on any given day to make camp and cook before it gets dark. Rinsing dishes in the dark is a huge pain, and the sunset is not always easy to predict.
So, you want a backpack that is easily organized into quick access items. The best packing cubes will do that for you.
Best Packing Cubes for Backpacking: Top 5
- Seriously, Gonex is a backpacker’s best friend. The array of choices with these cubes is ideal. You can choose from an assortment of a set of 4 cubes of the same size, 4 cubes of different sizes, and everything in between. You can even choose from a variety of colors.
- Each cube has easy to use zippers, and one set even comes with a laundry bag. They are made of nylon, and they have a webbed handle which makes them easy to carry outside of your backpack.
2. Amazon Basics
- Of course, Amazon had to get in on the deal, knowing how crucial these items are to a backpacker, or any traveler really. And, as usual, Amazon Basics delivers.
- These packing cubes, in four different sizes, are 100% polyester; they’ve got easy to grip handles, and mesh fronts, so you can instantly identify the contents.
3. Shacke Pak
- Shacke Pak has designed these cool cubes for any traveler, and they are ideal for the backpacker. In four different sizes from extra large for clothes too small for toiletries, you will get 100% nylon, a double stitched material made to last.
- The cubes have well-made zippers and a funky design on the outside. This set even comes with a laundry bag to sort your dirty clothes along the way. Each cube is four inches deep, so you can pack quite well.
- This travel gear has got to be one of the best packing cubes for backpacks. These cubes are compression bags. This means they are physically designed to squish your clothes and gear into thin bags that you can then neatly organize in your backpack. You get a set of six cubes that range from extra large down to a slim tube.
- The tube bag can be used for electronics, and, of course, one cube can be used for laundry. You simply pack your bags and then use an additional zipper to press and compress all air out of the bag. Bam. You’re on your way.
5. BB Bags and Backpacks
- Here is yet another cool design for backpackers. This set of 4 luggage organizers comes in 4 different sizes with a color scheme of 4 different colors to match each other and the black background on each bag.
- They are the classic nylon, double stitched material. The zippers are designed to be not only easy to use but quick to open and close. These cubes will keep all of your items neatly organized and handy to get to.
The option for a backpacker is boundless. You can choose a set of 4 or 6. You could buy each cube separately. Nylon or Polyester are now both viable alternatives. And you still get to choose from a variety of sizes and styles.
Ultimately, you will have to refer to your packing list, what you need, take a measure of your pack, and click “buy.”