When you’re spending time outdoors in the woods or whether you’re hunting or simply trying to remain untraceable, keeping your scent hidden will come in handy. Blocking your scent can make the difference between scoring the game you will cook for dinner and being left without any source of food. Investing in the best scent blocking clothing is a critical aspect of crafting the highest level of survival ability.
Scent Blocking Tips
While adding the best scent blocking clothing to your collection is imperative to your proper survival, there are other things you can do to enhance your scent boundaries. If you put your scent blocking clothing together with other practices, you will have the best chances of remaining undetectable.
Here are a few tips you can follow to enhance your scent blocking:
- Careful Cleaning Practices: believe it or not, even the smallest hint of scent on any piece of clothing can be detected by animals. If you want to be as close to scent-free as possible, make sure you clean your washing machine before loading clothes and use baking soda rather than detergent to avoid any traces of chemical scent. After you’ve washed your clothes, air dry them in an area that won’t be affected by things like smoke or other unnatural scents. Finally, store your hunting clothes in airtight containers until it’s time to wear them.
- Hygiene Tips: before you head out on a hunt, remember to clean yourself with gentle and unscented products. Use shampoos and soaps that are scent-free and formulated for hunters. Remember to use towels that you’ve cleaned with your hunting gear to avoid smelling like detergent. Your deodorant and toothpaste should also be scent-free. You can even carry chlorophyll gum or hydrogen-peroxide mouthwash to keep your breath neutral. If you’re really serious about staying scent-free, cover your body with baking soda before heading out to prevent sweat odors.
- Think Natural: the number one thing to keep in mind when preparing to head out on a hunt or on an exploration that requires you to be scent-free is that you want to avoid any type of unnatural scent. This means you need to avoid using any product like cologne, deodorant, lotion, or toothpaste that has even the slightest scent.
Top 5 Pieces of Scent Blocking Clothing
Here are 5 pieces of scent blocking clothing that you will definitely want to add to your collection. The bran Scent-Lok is the one of the most popular and reliable on the market, so investing in their products is a worthwhile decision.
1. Scent-Lok Men’s Savanna Quickstrike Coverall
[amazon_link asins=’B011NJFSDA’ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’f9f91ffb-72c4-11e8-ac11-99d9894070a2′]
The Scent-Lok Coverall suit is made from lightweight polyester that will keep you comfortably cool in the hot weather and warm in combination with your winter gear in the cold weather. This one-piece is ideal for you if you prefer to keep things very simple and don’t like the feeling of wearing many pieces or layers. The coverall is available in a choice of two different color tones, depending on your intended surroundings. The scent control system used by Scent-Lok will keep you undetected as you explore and hunt.
In terms of sizing, the coverall is fairly accurate, but remember that if you want to wear another layer of clothing underneath, then you will probably want to buy a size larger. The coverall has one cargo pocket and two hand pockets for convenience with too much bulk. This durable coverall will be part of your collection for years to come.
2. Scent-Lok Men’s Full Season Headcover
[amazon_link asins=’B011MCBLJ8′ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’46e4bf02-72c5-11e8-812a-0119c49cd5c2′]
Staying undetectable doesn’t stop with your clothing. You need to make sure that your natural scents from your hair, skin, and breath are masked as well. The Scent-Lok Headcover will help you do just that. This headcover is made from 100% polyester and is comfortable while remaining totally silent, even when you’re moving. The Scent-Lok headcover is designed to keep you in business for as long as possible and is made with moisture-wicking technology on the inner layer and a dry wick finish on the outside to keep your head dry.
The headcover is available in Scent-Lok’s two classic color tones to match with the rest of your scent blocking clothing. The one thing to keep in mind about this headcover is that it is rather large, so you may need to creatively adjust it for a more comfortable fit.
3. Scent-Lok Men’s Thermal Baselayer Bottom
[amazon_link asins=’B00L5FXSJ4′ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’66c80b33-72c5-11e8-80ac-1197e7f521de’]
If you do a lot of hunting in very cold temperatures, then you will want to invest in the Scent-Lok thermal bottom. This baselayer is made of 100% polyester for flexibility, breathability, and comfort. This thermal bottom feels smooth and soft against your skin and tucks very easily into hunting boots. This baselayer is loose-fitting so that you can wear it around other people after a long day of hunting. The bottom is thin but warm, to provide the weather protection you need without a lot of bulk.
4. Scent-Lok Men’s Savanna Crosshair Pants
The Scent-Lok pants are a good investment if you prefer to wear separate pieces when hunting or exploring. The pants come in a variety of color tones and patterns, so you can choose the one that suits your personal preferences. These pants have six front pockets for your carrying convenience and side waist adjusters to make sure you’re comfortable. Don’t worry about rain or mud, as these pants dry rather quickly.
5. Scent-Lok Men’s Savanna Crosshair Jacket
[amazon_link asins=’B07582DK98′ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’94266d5e-72c5-11e8-9e98-49cb77765d82′]
The Scent-Lok jacket makes a durable outer layer for cold weather hunting and adventures. The jacket has two waist pockets and another at the chest, so you can store important EDC items. The jacket is made of carbon alloy, resulting in maximum odor absorption. The jacket is more of an athletic design, so it will fit a bit snugly, which is something to keep in mind when choosing your size. The material is lightweight and will stay quiet as you move from place to place.
To take your hunting and other outdoor activities to a new level of survivalist skill, invest in scent blocking clothing. Being undetectable will provide a new world of possibilities.