Preparation is the one thing that will make the difference when push comes to shove. There is no way to know when you will find yourself in a survival situation, which is why it’s vital to think about necessities such as food ahead of time. One of the most common survival options for food is freeze drying. While learning to freeze dry on your own at home is a good idea, stocking up on ready supplies will give you an extra level of safety. If you’re not sure which products to add to your stockpile, keep reading for the best tasting freeze dried food review.
Tips for Improving Freeze Dried Food
The best tasting freeze-dried food review will be useless if you’re not familiar with how to use freeze dried supplies. Though freeze-dried foods have a reputation for lacking real and enjoyable flavor, there are things you can do to improve the tastes.
Here are a few simple but helpful tips:
- Don’t Bother Cooking: depending on where you find yourself, cooking may not be a practical or easy option, but there’s no need to worry. The beauty of freeze dried foods is that you don’t need to cook them in order to eat them. Don’t knock it until you try it! Some freeze-dried foods actually taste better than dehydrated foods. They are not difficult to chew and they turn into powder in your mouth. Freeze dried fruits are especially tasty when eaten dry. Remember to drink extra water when you eat your foods dry!
- To Hydrate or Not: you will not need to hydrate all your freeze dried foods before cooking them and that can save you a lot of time. For example, when you’re making soup, you can just add all the freeze-dried ingredients to the pot, pour enough water, and get to cooking. Smoothies and sauces work in the same way.
- Saute as Usual: when you need to saute freeze dried ingredients for a specific recipe, you can do so just as you normally would. The process is the same, and this is another instance where you will not need to rehydrate ahead of time.
- Go Easy on the Water: when you do need to rehydrate foods, don’t add too much water, or you’ll end up with soggy foods. The best thing to do is put all the freeze-dried ingredients in a bowl and add just enough water to get everything floating. Then stir the food until it starts to rehydrate. Add more water as you see fit.
- Know How to Substitute: even if you’re not in an absolute survival situation, using ingredients from your freeze-dried stockpile can help save money and prevent another trip to the grocery store. Learn the proper conversion amounts from freeze-dried to fresh and expand your cooking abilities.
Top 5 Freeze Dried Foods
Here are the top 5 tasting freeze dried foods to add to your stockpile:
1. Mountain House Pouch Kits, Freeze Dried MEals
Mountain House is a brand that offers a very wide range of freeze-dried meal flavors, which all come with a 30-year taste guarantee. This collection is a total of twenty-nine servings in assorted flavors. Investing in this collection with help you start your tasty freeze-dried backup stock. These pouches contain meals that are ready within ten minutes, and all you need to do is add water. Each pouch may contain allergens such as soy, milk, wheat, egg, and coconut, so be mindful of any allergies within your family.
2. Crispy Green Freeze-Dried Fruits
Other than full meals, another important category of freeze-dried foods to stock up on is fruits. The Crispy Green assortment of fruits is tasty and ideal for dry snacking or rehydrating for other recipes. Each pack contains freeze-dried apples, pears, and tangerines. Crispy Green uses 100% natural fruit which is kosher, gluten and dairy-free, and free of GMO, preservatives, and added sugars.
3. Wise Company 60 Serving Entrée Only Grab and Go Food Kit
The Wise Company Kit includes 60 servings of freeze dried food that you can count on in unexpected survival situations. The kit includes a variety of flavors like savory stroganoff, chili macaroni, pasta alfredo, and cheesy lasagna. The Wise Food pouches have a shelf life of up to 25 years, and there is no need to rotate your stock at any point. These food pouches are a reliable option for your home stockpile and can be packed as backup means for any camping or hiking trip.
4. Augason Farms 30-Day Emergency Food Storage Supply
Augason Farms is another brand that is popular for its tasty freeze-dried food options. Their 30-day food supply storage is a solid start to any stockpile and a helpful option for camping and hiking trips. The 30-day supply includes 307 servings of a variety of foods, adding up to more than 1,800 calories per day for sufficient nutrition.
5. Valley Food Storage 1 Month Emergency Food Supply
Valley Food Storage provides you with 100% natural freeze-dried food that has a shelf life of 25 years. Whether you eat their foods dry or add some water for cooking, you will be pleased with the real taste you enjoy. Valley Food Storage provides their freeze-dried food in resealable bags, so you never have to worry about anything going to waste.
Having a stockpile of freeze-dried food could help keep your family safe and nutritionally protected during natural disasters, emergencies and survival situations. Start preparing from now and you can even focus on taste!