Though none of us like to think about it, there is always the possibility that an emergency, such as a fire, could happen to us in our own home or office. That’s why it’s important to be prepared for potential dangers. One collection of things that would be destroyed very quickly in a fire if not protected properly is your documents. To ensure that the essential documents you need are safe, you should invest in the best fireproof safe for documents.
Features of a Fireproof Document Safe
While you will come across many models during your search for the best fireproof safe for documents, they are not all made to equal standards. There are a few features that you should consider must-haves:
- Water Resistance: this may not seem completely obvious when you’re focusing protecting your documents in the event of a fire, but you need to think ahead. Besides just being stuck in a fire, you may find yourself dealing with flooding, in which case a safe would only protect your documents if it was waterproof.
- Internal Temperature: these are numbers you need to remember. If you are only planning to store paper documents in your safe, you need one that can withstand an internal temperature of up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If, however, you also want to store things such as CDs, DVDs or flash drives, then you will need one that keeps the internal temperature lower than 125 degrees Fahrenheit.
These two features are the most important things to pay attention to during your search to ensure the protection of your documents in the event of an emergency.
Choosing the Best Fireproof Document Safe
Now that you know the two main features to look for, there are a few other factors about fireproof safes that should influence your decision. Consider these things, as well:
- Locking Mechanism: do you want a key-based locking mechanism or a coded system?
- Size: this is based on your personal preference. If you’re mainly trying to keep your vital documents safe, you may want to consider a compact size that you could easily carry out with you in a fire.
- Price: there are fireproof safes available in a range of prices but remember that functionality is not dictated by price. So, know your budget and stick to it.
5 Top Fireproof Document Safes
Check out 5 of your best safe options:
1. First Alert 2037F Water and Fire Protector File Chest
For storage of an established collection of documents, consider the First Alert file chest. This safe is large enough to accommodate hanging files. The safe is both fireproof and waterproof for optimal protection of your documents and electronics and can withstand external temperatures of up to 1550 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
You will secure your documents with the key-locking system and be provided with two keys, so you’ll always have a backup.
2. Honeywell 6104 Fire Resistant Steel Security Safe Box with Key Lock
The Honeywell safe box is ideal for keeping close to you at home, for example, in your bedroom, and it is compact enough that you could travel with it, as well. This box should be used for storing your highly sensitive documents and belongings, such as your passport.
The small size means that you will be able to pick it up and go in the case of an emergency. The box is made to be durable with double steel construction and practical with a carry handle.
3. SereneLife Safe Box | Fire Safe Box
To ensure that no one else can get access to your documents, the SereneLife safe box keeps them protected with both a touchscreen keypad and standard manual key lock. This means that you will be able to access your documents in two ways at all times.
This box is compact and ideal for home and office use, as it is very sturdy. The only thing to keep in mind is that this box is not waterproof.
4. AmazonBasics Fire Resistant Safe
If you’re looking to have a choice in what size safe you choose, check out the AmazonBasics fire resistant safes. The safe comes in different sizes, depending on your needs and is protected using a coded keypad, but backed up with a manual key, in case of emergency.
This safe is constructed from strong materials and will endure rough conditions to protect your documents.
5. SentrySafe Fire Safe
Another great option for storing just the essentials, the SentrySafe fire safe is compact and convenient for home and office use, as well as travel. The box is fireproof and waterproof to cover all bases. Even if you already have a main document safe, this one will act as a great backup.
It’s never to early to think ahead and plan for emergencies. By keeping a fireproof safe for your documents, you save yourself a lot of hassle in the aftermath of a devastating emergency.