Camping can be an amazing experience all around, as long as you’re prepared. The aspect of camping that is often the most difficult is facilitating a good night’s sleep. If you’re not camping cabin-style, then you will need to think about whether you want to use a sleeping bag and sleep on the ground, use an air mattress, or carry a cot. While sleeping bags may be the easiest in terms of packing, cots provide more comfort for sleeping, especially on your side. That’s why it’s worth it to find the best camping cot for side sleepers.
Choosing the Best Camping Cot for Side Sleeper
The best camping cot for side sleepers needs to provide comfort and stability throughout the night. People who sleep on their backs or stomachs lie flat, but if you sleep on your side you know just how important your sleeping surface really is.
Obviously, when you’re camping you can’t expect to have a luxury level bed, but the thing to focus on is choosing a cot that will work best for your sleep and also for the convenience of your camping trip. Here are a few things to think about:
- Transport: camping comes in many forms, and while you may have a steady base during your trip, you may also want the flexibility to change sleeping spots, especially if your hiking. If that’s the case, you will need to invest in a cot that can be practically added to your equipment. That means a cot that is compact and not too heavy.
- Size: people come in all shapes and sizes, and that’s why it’s important to make sure that you pay attention to your cot’s size. You don’t want to find yourself sleeping on a camping cot that’s too small and leaves your feet hanging over the edge.
- Firm Support: if you’re a side sleeper, then you may also be someone who changes sides or tosses and turns at night, and in that case, you need a cot that will keep you off the ground and provide a strong base.
- Elevation: depending on where or when you’re camping, you may want to be raised from the ground to avoid dampness or insects.
Top 5 Side Sleeper Camping Cots
1. TETON Sports Outfitter XXL Camping Cot
The TETON camping cot is a safe option for people of most sizes, as it holds up to 600 pounds and is long enough for the taller crowd. This camping cot is built with a very sturdy frame with 5 steel legs to provide firm support for a comfortable sleep. This TETON cot is best suited to a camping experience with a home base, as it’s a bit heavy for easy carrying.
Packing your cot for the trip will be easy, as it folds into a compact size and comes with a carrying bag. Sleeping on the cot by itself may not be totally comfortable, but if you just put your sleeping bag on top, your side sleeping experience will be better.
2. Coleman 80 x 32-Inches Pack-Away Cot
The Coleman Pack-Away Cot is a great option for camping trips where you will be moving from place to place. This cot folds into its compact carry bag and is light enough to walk with. Though the cot itself looks simply built, it holds up to 300 pounds and will accommodate people up to 6 feet and 6 inches in height.
To enjoy sleeping on your side while you camp, add a small cot mattress or your sleeping bag and you’re set. You even get the added perk of a removable side table and cup holder for your lantern and water!
3. Coleman Queen Airbed Folding Cot
The Coleman Queen Airbed is definitely the best camping cot for two. As you can probably guess, this cot is not a great option for constantly traveling campers, but if you have a set base, then this bed will keep you sleeping soundly throughout your trip. This bed comes with a comfortable air mattress and the pump to fill it up with. Consider this cot an investment for your future camping trips. It is pricey but will last for years.
When it comes time for transport to and from your camp, this cot folds into a transportable carry bag.
4. Kamp-Rite Oversize Kwik Cot
The Kamp-Rite Oversize Kwik Cot provides a good amount of width for side sleepers while remaining firm and practical for camping. If you’re planning to move camps during your trip, this cot is a good choice, as it’s lightweight and folds into a compact, easy to carry bag.
This cot holds up to 350 pounds and includes side pockets on the sturdy frame, so you can keep your important items like your book or cell phone close while you rest.
5. Mountain Trails Base Camp Cot
When you’re looking to travel super light and move from camp to camp, consider the Mountain Trails cot. This cot is a bit lower to the ground than some other models but is very easy to transport. This affordable cot holds up to 225 pounds and is wide enough for side sleeping comfort. The best part about this cot is that you will be able to set it up quickly and easily each time you change locations!
When it comes to sleeping comfortably on your side while camping, a reliable cot is a way to go. Think about your camping style and invest in a cot that will keep you rested on many camping trips to come!