We’ve all been in the position where the power goes out and we realize that we don’t have any light source to use as a backup. There’s no need to let that happen to you again. Being prepared can eliminate some of the stress associated with power outages. Take some time to find the best lantern for power outage.
First and foremost, when choosing a lantern to keep you safe during a power outage, you need to think about the best way to sustain light for the longest amount of time. While there are different types of lanterns that run in various ways other than through electricity, the most practical way of all is battery-powered lanterns.
Think about it, keeping battery-operated lanterns for backup during emergencies like power outages is the most logical solution because it allows you to stock up on batteries to keep your light source going.
Choosing the Best Lantern for Camping and Power Outages
Other than battery operation, there are a few features that you should look for when and consider when choosing your lantern:
- Lumens: this term refers to the brightness your lantern will provide you with. Lumens can range from 1 to over 1,000, and the more lumens, the more battery power the lantern will use. That being said, in a power outage situation, you want as much light as you can get.
- Placement Options: the classic lanterns that come to your mind are probably the ones that you hold in your hand. Think about what will be practical for you in the event of a power outage. Do you want to be able to set your lantern down or hang it somewhere?
- Batteries: no matter what batteries your lantern takes, you will want to make sure to stock up. While a rechargeable battery may seem like a good idea, it will last for a limited amount of time during a power outage.
Just a quick thought about these features will help you be better prepared for any power outages that come your way.
5 Best Lanterns for Power Outages
Here are your 5 best options for power outage lanterns:
1. Etekcity 2 Pack Portable LED Camping Lantern Flashlights with 6 AA Batteries – Survival Kit for Emergency, Hurricane, Outage (Black, Collapsible) (CL10)
[amazon_link asins=’B00XM8HTIS’ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’8fec9060-1193-11e8-b6a2-71f305a953f6′]
Designed to keep your batteries working for a long time, the Etekcity lantern works with 30 LED lights to provide bright illumination from a compact lantern, suitable for use by everyone in the family. The lantern is lightweight, easy to carry, and can be set down on any surface.
When you’re not using your lantern, it collapses into an even more compact unit for convenient storing. For an extremely affordable price, you can prepare for the event of power outage, knowing that your military-grade lantern will be your backup for years to come.
2. Streamlight 44931 Siege 540 Lumen Ultra-Compact Work Lantern (Coyote W/WHITE/RED LED, 3xD Battery)
[amazon_link asins=’B00DII7CTI’ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’d144c631-1193-11e8-b248-492fbe583f9c’]
The Streamlight lantern is a tool ready to assist you in power outages with a range of lumen ability, with modes using to lumens to 540 lumens. Not to mention that the lantern uses white lights, but also uses a red LED light to provide illumination in a night vision setting
The lantern, which runs on standard D batteries is lightweight and you will be able to carry it with you to light any space you find yourself in when without power.
3. AYL StarLight – Water Resistant – Shock Proof – Battery Powered Ultra Long Lasting Up To 6 DAYS Straight – 600 Lumens Ultra Bright LED Lantern
[amazon_link asins=’B00VPTKQ7M’ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’03b70d20-1194-11e8-b570-89031cdabf94′]
In the case of a long-term power outage, the AYL lantern is the backup you will need, as a single set of batteries allows it to run for 6 days straight. LED bulbs which use 600 lumens are used to provide the illumination from this lantern, so you will see well even when it gets dark.
You can even set the mood with the three lighting modes: low, high, and flashing strobe. Don’t worry if you find yourself in less than ideal conditions, as this lantern is water resistant and shockproof. Its lightweight design makes it easy to carry wherever you go.
4. 2 Pack/4 Pack E-TRENDS Portable LED Lantern Tent Light Bulb for Camping Hiking Fishing Emergency Lights, Battery Powered Lamp with 6 AAA Batteries
[amazon_link asins=’B01GGL73ZQ’ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’384ea47a-1194-11e8-8d65-cbd75e16d3ef’]
If you’re interested in lighting your space during a power outage without holding the light source, then you’ll like these E-TRENDS lantern light bulbs. Whether you are camping or using them in your home, they are designed with heavy-duty hooks to be hung from anywhere you see fit.
These lantern light bulbs run on batteries and are super compact, making them easy to pack on trips or store when not in use.
5. LE 1000lm Dimmable Portable LED Camping Lantern 4 Modes Water Resistant Light Battery Powered Lamp for Home Garden Outdoor Hiking Fishing Emergency
[amazon_link asins=’B0078ZTWP4′ template=’photo-only’ store=’aboblist-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’8f569bd1-1194-11e8-b79b-372d7ad5f826′]
Another affordable option, the LE lantern is the ideal choice if you need to light up a large outdoor space, as it’s highest brightness setting reaches 1,000 lumens. This lantern makes the perfect accompanying tool for camping trips, where you may find yourself exploring the night.
The portable lantern is water resistant and can be hung upside down from above to distribute more light.
It is never too early to start preparing for possible emergency situations or power outages. Pick the lantern which best fits your needs and start stocking up on batteries!